Once one of the largest buildings in the world, the terminal at Berlin’s former Tempelhof Airport played many roles in the history of the city. The airport terminal, originally constructed in 1927, and recontructed in the 1930s, is an expression of Nazi ideology and served in World War II as a weapons production site using forced labour.
However Tempelhof is also a symbol of freedom. The airlift of 1948/49, as a reaction to the Soviet Blockade of Berlin, made the airport world-famous and a legend. During the division of Germany the airport was the gateway to freedom for many people.
Tempelhof Airport closed all operations on 30 October 2008. Since the end of 2015, refugee accommodations have been located on the airport, and so parts of the airport became an ‚emergency refugee shelter‘. Today, most of the 877-acre site of Tempelhof is a park, making it slightly larger than New York’s Central Park and almost twice the size of Monaco.